Thursday, December 09, 2004


Jet-B fuel. I was looking through my pictures from my Mistassibi trip and came across this one. I remember this because it bothered me. I was canoeing along and noticed something on shore. I was hoping it was a paddle we had lost earlier but it was just some garbage. since we were on shore I thought I would get out and stand up for a minute. When I did so I noticed this 50 gallan barrel of Fuel about 15 feet from the shore of the river. It looked like it had been sitting there about 10 years from the rust and how much it had sunk into the ground. We would have like to remove this but we hardly could roll it. So all we were able to do was to push it as far from the river as possible (which was only another 20ft) into a bit of a hollow so if it does start to leak it won't go directly into the river. Hopefully it would have time to evaporate first. I was thinking of how that barrell would have made it to this place. For the past few kilometers of the river there was a huge fire a number of years back and this barrell was close to the edge of the burn so I am guessing it was from the people fighting that fire dropped it by accident or forgot about it somehow. It's such a great river I would hate to see it polluted by that barrell of fuel.

No comments: