Sunday, February 27, 2005

Backgammon

Do I have any Backgammon fans out there? This is one game I have always wondered how to play. It is normally on the back of every chess board and so many other places. Finally this summer it all came together. I met a French man named Martin who had a backgammon board at the treeplanting camp I was working at and he taught me how to play (same situation as learning crib, just different year and a different frenchman). He almost always destroyed me, but I have been getting much better with practice. I really enjoy the game now and know why it is such a classic. It is just too bad more people who are my age do not know how to play.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just learned to play as well... I don't really understand why it is such a classic game....It just doesn't seem to stack up to other classics such as Chess or Checkers.
Maybe I just haven't played it enough or maybe it's cause I lost the only few matches I played but still... I don't get it.
Nathan

Anonymous said...

I'm always up for a game of backgammon!

Anonymous said...

My boss, Gordie Noye, wrote most of code for the backend of gamesgrid.com, an online backgammon site. He tells me that the game is huge in the Middle East.

Apparently a lot of money changes hands over the backgammon board. When was working on the backgammon game his boss made a trip to a big backgammon tournament and returned with enough winnings to bankroll the company for the next year.

Jon Barrett said...

I have heard that it was popular in Asia/Middle-East, but that's interesting how he was good enough to come back with that much in winnings. I should practice up I suppose.