Wednesday, February 22, 2006

El Pital



El Salvador is a country that many tourists miss out on. While there are not as many major attractions as the surrounding countries there is still a lot to do and see. In the short time that I was there I was able to hike El Pital (the highest mountain in the country at 2700 odd metres) then spend an afternoon and night in the Capital, San Salvador. El Pital is tucked away in the mountainous northeastern part of the country. Thankfully I was coming into El Salvador in that area or I most likely would have missed out on this hike. The hike itself was not too strenuous (just over an hour to the top) since there is a crazy road up the mountainside to two little villages perched there. The most interesting part of the hike was at this place I have a picture of on the left. The only way to get out onto this outcropped rock was via a fallen log (seen in the picture). I have to say I was a bit timid walking across as I looked down to the bottom of the crevice about 100 feet bellow. From El Pital I made my way to the capital to enjoy the multitude of markets before I went to bed early to catch the 4:30 am Tica bus to Nicaragua. Currently I am in the lovely colonial town of Granada on lago de Nicaragua.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing world we live in Jon. Keep the pics coming. Troy and I are off next week on our adventure. Wow how time flies! Take care.

Jon Barrett said...

Malcolm, can't wait to see some picts from your trip to Isreal. Make sure Troy and Noel post a few times while you are over there. Take some good video footage also.

shauna marie said...

oh jonny b. You love freaking your mom out, don't you!! Else--I love you and miss you! And Bob!

The Book Worm said...

Lovely pictures. Your post was nice too. . .but the pictures are fantastic. :) Keep them coming.

". . .I looked down to the bottom of the crevice about 100 feet bellow."

Wow. Thats a bit of a distance. It would freak me out a bit.