Sunday, March 12, 2006

Tayrona National Park


I did not know what to expect from Parque Nacional Tayrona, but I was happily surprised by this pristine location along the Caribbean. It does take some work to make it there (some hiking through the jungle, which was wonderful as well). The coastline was very undeveloped. Only a few palapas here and there to string up hammocks under. I had a very relaxing time walking along the countless beaches, in numerous coves, enjoying the cool breeze and watching the waves crash against the coast. And of course being along the Caribbean coast the sunrises are always beautiful. Cartagena is a cool colonial port town a few hours west of Tayrona. It has a large old town that is completely walled in. I was told that the walls were built because back in colonial times this city was constantly being attacked by pirates. On from Cartagena I made the long bus ride to metropolis of Medellin that I am about to explore.

2 comments:

shauna marie said...

jon, I think you could have a second career: professional photographer. I keep having to change my background everytime you post!! They keep getting better and better!!

Jon Barrett said...

If I only didn't soke my camera before Angel Falls. There would be some sweet shots.