Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Big Island fun

The island of Hawaii (known as the "Big Island") was quite interesting.  Some highlights were the lava flows (how cool is it to walk on and feel the heat of molten lava. It actually melted the soles of my shoes);  Swiming along when a school of about 40 dolphins appears out of the deep blue (thought they were sharks initially); along with lots of time swimming with the ever graceful turtles (found one spot away from the tourists that I counted over 20).  Overall I put well over 500 miles on my rental while on the Big Island, but it was well worth it.

9 comments:

Jon Barrett said...

I am going to post Pictures, Honest. Most likely by the end of the week when I get to Asia.

shauna marie said...

riiiiiiiiiiiiiight Jonny B., riiiiight. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are enjoying your travelling again.....sounds like an interesting, new part of the world to see! Yes, will look forward to pictures. Josh is wanting to travel - but don't think as far as you do! He is talking about California and/or Virginia. Travel safe and God's speed. Love, Aunt Ethel

Anonymous said...

wowie!i can't believe you swam with dolphins. did they let you come near them? that is awesome. i love you tons, and be careful.
your overprotective sister,
shira<><

Greg, Alisha & family said...

I bet that would have been amazing! did you touch any of the dolphins?

Anonymous said...

Now many people can say they have swam with dolphins, but not as many can say they have swam with turtles. Thats pretty cool.

Noel said...

Hey Jonny I am still waiting for them photo's of the dolphins.. and 500km of road that your drove... :) Hope all is going well... I updated my site just for ya.. talk to ya later till then Noel

Anonymous said...

The Lava flows were BY Far my favourtie too, dont think until you really see the lava do you say to yourself, im looking are real live lava! you will find that not too many people think thats cool, but it is waay cool when you see it. Im jealous of the dolphins, I didn't even see one while I was there! But the turtles were great! Its amazing to swim alongside them! Glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon,

Sounds awesome. I would love to see some lava flows. Dolphins are pretty amazing creatures. Don't know if you saw any when you were in Belize. Where is your next stop, is it Thailand?

Cheers,

Malcolm