Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Chichen Itza


Chichen Itza is a very popular Mayan ruins site (mainly because of its location close to the very much touristed Cancun). Again it was amazing to see these structures that these groups were able to build. I was disappointed to find out that the ruins have been closed to the public for climbing up them. I was temped to jump the fence for a quick jaunt to the top for a few pictures, but my better senses stopped me. There were a few places at the site that some of the original carvings were still intact and in good condition. Normally the bulk of the structure is still in place with the original plaster layer with the carvings having been peeled off over the years. I can see why so many people head to Cancun. The water is warm, the beaches are great and most people speak English so it's easy to communicate. The hurricanes this past year have really damaged the place greatly. It seemed like about half of the hotels were still closed with severe damage. Also there was this huge pipe on the beach. I have no Idea why?? From Cancun I took a ferry to Isla Mujeres to get away from the busy Cancun to find a place to stay for the night.

1 comment:

The Book Worm said...

Chichen made me think of Chicken. Replace the 'h' with a 'k' and voila, a whole new word.