Saturday, February 18, 2006

Lago de Atitlan

Guatemala has been a beautiful country to be busing through. With the its jungles, volcanoes, lakes and rolling hillsides. This morning I was able to spend a couple hours walking the streets of Guatemala city. I really don´t know why most people stay away from here. It seems to be a lovely city (at least at that time of day and in the places I went). From the city I headed to Panajachel on Lago de Atitlan. Panajachel is a small touristy town right on the lake with some great views of the lake and surrounding volcanoes. I had a good time sitting by the lake eating a whole pineapple I purchased at the local market for 75 cents. Another short bus ride later I arrived in Antigua. This city is surrounded by volcanoes and what I have enjoyed most about this town so far are the incredible Saturday markets. You name it I´m sure I could find it at the markets here. I´m excited for the volcano climb I have arranged for the morning. Hopefully it will be a good day for some picts.

8 comments:

shauna marie said...

volcanoes???? swimming with sharks? You're so my hero!! And hey, my friend Marco, from the office (he said you guys talked for a minute), anyways, I sent him to your site, and he said he's real jealous of you. So keep the pictures of comin'!! Prayed for you....

The Book Worm said...

YOU SWAM WITH SHARKS! Thats incredible. Your blog has been advertised in the prayer bulletin by the way. Get ready to be bombarded with visitors.

The Barretts said...

Mmm...pineapple...

Hey, the power went out here the other night and I enjoyed using that head light you bought Jamin.

I like the pictures from your trip. Eat another pineapple for me :)

Bev said...

Just don't buy the pineapple from a street vendor! And you blast me for drinking water right from the Alps! Jon, Jon!
Guate city is a pretty violent city at times. I have a friends who were missionaries there and her best friend was murdered in a mugging... so if you are being mugged just give 'em your stuff or you might be shot... maybe I shouldn't have wrote that... don't worry, Else... he'll be fine!
I loved Antigua... we'll have to compare pics when you get home! Ahh, and the market in the town square... we were there on a Sat too... talk about getting swarmed by 5 year olds trying to sell you stuff if you stop to admire something! If you see Flori (she'd be about 7 now) buy a bandana from her and she'll let you take her picture! She'll be selling things in the old market place... not the one in front of the huge church... check out the ruins (nothing like Tikal though!)
Wish I was in Guate with you, I loved it there!!!

Anonymous said...

hi Jonathan - your mom said I should send you a note - you have done a great job (wonderful pictures and descriptions etc.) in keeping up your site and showing everyone what you have been doing and where you are spending your time. Be blessed and take care. Ps 25:21
Mrs. Wooldridge (GCS)

Jon Barrett said...

They were friendly sharks. I still have all my fingers. I think the volcano was more dangerous. I got caught in a cloud of gas with the guide (when he went running I knew something was wrong). That stuff really takes your breath away (literaly).

Jon Barrett said...

The street vendors are the cheapest places to eat and get food (I think the best also). I just go to the busiest ones so I know the food is at least somewhat fresh. No sign of Flori.

Noel said...

volcano climb can't wait to see the pics from the Volcano... ps. don't fall into the volcano when you get to the crest... till then :)

ps. if you are getting mugged, just hit him with them rocks you picked up for Bev ;)