Saturday, February 18, 2006

Tikal


After paying a lot of fees at the Belize boarder and some unofficial fees at the Guatemalan boarder I headed for Tikal. Tikal is an impressive ruin that is deep in the Guatemalan jungles. It was a lot of fun getting there. I had a taxi ride from the boarder where the driver dropped me and the others I was with at the wrong location, then I had my first "chicken bus" experience, followed by somehow getting a combi to myself and finally driving the last 20km in the back of a pickup. How it all worked out I have no idea but it did, and I made it so, I was happy. The Ruins at Tikal would be the most extensive set of ruins I have seen so far. It is so hard to compare any of the ruins I have seen to date since they have all been in such different settings. Tickal is situated on a small hill in the middle of a vast jungle. On the top of a couple of the largest ruins you can look for miles and miles in every direction and see nothing but jungle. I´m glad that it worked out that I saw the ruins in the evening, because the whole jungle came alive around 4:00. It was really cool walking thought the jungle trails with the monkeys and all sorts of other exotic animals flying around the treetops and the noises they all made, wow. I would have went there just to be in that setting. Having the ruins was just a huge bonus.

4 comments:

Bev said...

Magnifico, Juan!!!
Sounds amazing! Did you see a quetzal? It's the Guate. national bird... also their currency... and it sounds like you could have used my 7 extra quetzals at the border!!! Your loss!
Never did get to ride on a Guatemalan bus... looked like there was never any room for anyone on them! Packed right full and had guys hanging off the sides and out the doors! Right up your alley!

Bev said...

Did you get me a rock?!?!

Jon Barrett said...

You are right there seems to never be enough room on the buses, but we all get in somehow. Adds to the fun. I always try to get on early(at least at one of their first stops) so I can get a seat and a place for my stuff. Rocks!! what am I a pack mule to carry that stuff around for the next couple months? That being said yes I have picked up a number of artifacts (rocks and seaglass).

Noel said...

Sounds so amazing to be in the jungle hearing God's creation :)

Hey Bev what size rock do ya want Jonathan to get ;)