Friday, February 10, 2006

Palenque

If anyone ever wants to visit a lovely colonial city go to San Cristobal de las Casas. The cobblestone streets, Mayan markets, lovely buildings and of course diverse places to eat add to the appeal of the city. The streets had many tourists (seemed like mainly European), but it somehow only add to the flavour of the city. Palenque was my next stop of the journey. This is another place that deserves a wow. The city itself is nothing extra special but the surrounding area is very much so. The ruins of Palenque were truly incredible. The Mayans truly knew how to pick a good spot. They build on the side of the hills in the jungle on the edge of a large fertile valley. The feeling of being there was something special. My biggest problem was leaving my pack in town and running out of batteries not long into exploring the ruins. Misol-Ha, just south of Palanque was my next stop. It´s the site of a beautiful waterfall. It may be hard to tell from the picture but you can climb behind the waterfall then just out of the picture to the right there was a cave that goes into the side of the hill with much more water flowing out of it. The cave wasn´t huge but it was still fun to explore and find a waterfall flowing into it at its end. Agua Azul was another waterfall about an hour south of Misol-Ha. This waterfall had much more flow, but I didn´t find it as impressive. It is still a must see especially with the drive there and back through the hills filled with Mayan villages and the jungle vistas.

5 comments:

The Book Worm said...

Once again beautiful pictures. I'd hop on a plane right now and go see all these places if I had the money.

The Barretts said...

I like the waterfalls...I don't know if I could do the subways though...I would hate to be so crammed in...

Don't forget to wear your sunscreen :)

Anonymous said...

Such incredible scenery. The falls are a seller for me. Wow!! How will you be able to take it all in?!
Cindy & Bob

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip Jonathan! I am sure your updates are keeping Elsie relieved!! By the way, when do you sleep!

Jon Barrett said...

Travel in Mexico can be affordable. I have met up with people that live on the beach for like $400 for two months. However what I am doing does cost a bit more than that. Sarah Barrett, I would like to see you trying to cram in. Thankfully for the ladies and children out there at the extremaly busy stations the first number of subway cars are reserved for only their use. The falls were wonderful. Great places to relax in the cool mist and warm water. Dad bought a book on the ruins, give me the money and I will send picts home for you. with lots of pamphlets. Sleep, good idea I could use some right now. So far I have had the majority of my sleep on the bus.