Friday, February 10, 2006

Distrito Federal (Mexico City)

Mexico city is a happening place with lots to do and see. Initially I was planning on spending a couple days in the city, but as I quickly checked off everything from my to do list for the city it only took 16 hours. Early in the morning I visited the ancient Aztec city of Tenochtiltan. It is incredible to see what these early civilizations were able to create from pure brute human muscle power. After spending a number of hours baking under the sun I returned to the city core. While there I spent a few more hours in the Bosque de Chapultepec, which is the largest city park in the Americas. In the park I spent most of my time at the Zoo and the National museum of Anthropology. These where both great sites to see (and cheap) it was the first time I have seen a lot of the animals they had there, such as the pandas, monkeys and giraffes to name a few. From there I had a fun time trying to squeeze into the subway. I am not kidding here. It was literally crazy. It took 4 subs to go by before I was able to squeeze in and I mean squeeze. It was like playing sardines, how many people can we get into a subway car. With that experience I made my way to the Zocalo (Plaza de la constitucion). This is was another very interesting place. It had everything from native singers and dancers, to protesters, to religious groups and of course lots of people trying to sell stuff. Around the Zocal were a few buildings and sites of interest. The most enjoyable thing in the area was the absolutely huge market that covered I would say over 50 blocks (it felt like it at least). After that full day of exploring it was another night on the bus making my way to Tuxtla Gutierrez.

2 comments:

shauna marie said...

so it's kind of looks like you just cropped yourself in, jonny b.:))

Jon Barrett said...

When I get home I plan on cropping people out of the background, but that's me in the forground.