Monday, February 06, 2006

Zihuatanejo (See-wah-tah-NEH-ho)

Since leaving the rugged beauty of the Copper Canyon I have been exploring the Pacific coast before I head inland for a short time. (Pictures are still to come, still waiting on a place that I can get my USB key to work-Hopefully I´ll find a place in the morning.)   My first stop was in Mazatlan.  Overall I enjoyed the city even though the beaches are nothing overly special.  I thought it was unfortuanet that there was an extremely heavy fog going on for the majority of the time I was there, but I feel I got some fun pictures non-the-less.  Next stop was in the ever popular Puerto Vallarta.  All I have to say is "gringoville".  I had a good time, but the streets were simply packed with gringos.  The beaches were nice, but all backed by huge hotels (not exactly my style).  Manzanillo, well I did stop there very shortly.  I didn't see much.  I would have to have gone out of the city to see good beaches so I simply moved on and hoped to see them on my bus ride to Zihuatanejo.  Well that I did and more.  The 9 hour bus ride to Zihuatanejo was extremely beautiful.  Weaving though the hills that cut right into the Pacific.  The views were incredible.  However for most of the other passengers in the bus I think they would have preferred an easy straight road to the constant tight, hilly corners because almost everyone was throwing up (it was gross).  At first I heard people throwing up, but wasn't sure what it was.  Then the lady next to me did it and when I looked, yikes I quickly clued into what that noise that everyone was making was.  About half way through we had to stop and mop the bus then pass out new barf bags (good times).  I'm Currently relaxing in Zihuatanejo with the locals.  I am really enjoying it here.  There are not nearly as many gringos.  It seems to be more of a tourist spot for Mexicans (possibly from Mexico city). Tomorrow I plan on stopping at my last beach on the Pacific side of Mexico before I head inland and onto the Yucatan.

11 comments:

The Barretts said...

Ew...I would have thrown up just having people around me throw up..yuck!

(Am I totally behind the times because I had to look up the word gringo?)

The Book Worm said...

What a lovely bus ride you had. I don't think the contants of my stomach would last to minutes if I was surrounded by wretching people.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jonathan, not too many people could sit amongst what you had to and say they 'enjoyed the trip'?? It does sound like another beautiful piece of God's earth! Continue to travel safely - can't wait to see some pictures!! Love, Aunt Ethel

nathan said...

I am ...as well ...behind the times i think... gringo is a new word to me!
I am glad you are enjoying yourself.. I am not sure that I could have lasted the bus ride... Just hearing other people would have been enough to set me off... Hope you show pictures only of what went on outside the bus

becca said...

sorry about all the pucking people...gross... praying for you!

Bev said...

Haha... don't you hate when a place gets overrun with tourists?! That's why I loved Nevis so much... hardly any white people!
Kudos for not puking yourself!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you know the lingo already. "Gringo" is a popular word down south. By the way, vomitar is spanish for throw up if you ever want to use it in your conversations with the locals.

Anonymous said...

"Fun" bus ride! YOu must have a bit of your aunt in you because I felt like the only one not up-chucking when Bob & I were on a cruise on the North Sea (high winds). At least we weren't in such close quarters as you. Not a pleasant memory to carry!! Can't wait to see pictures!!
OX & prayers,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I am jut writting to say that if you can you should try to stop in Puerto Escondido in Oaxaca. I have been there around 6 or 7 times and I am heading there again in about a month tomorrow. It is a great town with great people and it is worth going to for sure. They also have great surfing if you want to do that, I guess the beach there is one of the best surfing beaches in the world! Anyway hope sounds like you are having a great trip!
By the way if you do go there I guarantee you will love it!

Noel said...

Hey Johnny sounds like you had one fun bus ride ;)

Jon Barrett said...

gringo is the local term for forigners basically. If I didn´t have to go through mexico city to pick up my passport I would have caught a bus from acapulco to puerto Escondido or Angel. I am now glad for seeing mexico city though. It was a cool place. great markets and cool ruins.