Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Caracas

I have to say that I have some seriously mixed opinions of South America so far (I doubt I should judge all of S.A. from what I have seen in Venezuela so I will retract that to only Venezuela).  It really has been a very large step from Central America.  The tourism infrastructure is simply not here (possibly because they have few tourists) which is amazing seeing the great diversity and beauty of this country.  I am also starting to realizing the immense size of South America.  It takes a long, long time to go from place to place (10-15 plus hour bus rides look like they will be the norm).  I am extremely excited to start getting into the Andies and hopefully go to the highest point I have ever been (4050 meters) sometime tomorrow.  I still am unable to upload photos, but hopefully in the next couple days I will find a place that I will be able to post a few from.  I should get some food before yet another bus (It's a good thing I don't mind riding buses).  For those who don't know I have a number of friends in traveling in Israel right now, check out some of their picts on their blogs at the right of the page under Noel Bondt and/or Troy Barton.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jonathan. We are enjoying reading about your travels in Calgary. You continue to be the most adventursome Barrett! Love Jim, Lilly & kids

Jon Barrett said...

I know one flight I most likely will be taking to save myself upwards of 100 hours by bus. Language barrier. I am fluent at Spanish now (I wish). Spanish people use a lot of hand jesters so you normally can get the gist of what is being said. Don´t worry Jim and Lilly your kids are still young who knows were they will be in a few years.