Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Ecuador Indians protest free trade talks with US

I made it into Ecuador last night to find out that no buses were going to Quito from Tulcan. I thought that strange since all the schedules showed multiple buses heading out that evening (The agents at the ticket counters kind of laughed at me and said no Quito). I could not understand what was up so I opted to get a hotel for the night (I found this a bit more difficult to do than planned since all the cheapest places in my guide book were full. This was also curious). Again I woke up early this morning and tried to get a bus with the same response. At least I got something like the road is closed (I assumed landslides since I have seen a number of half road closures already from them) and they did not know when they will re-open. I tried to get a flight but right now they are all full so I am kind of stuck in this little Ecuadorian town. When I got on the Internet I thought I would do a quick search to see if anything comes up on the road closures. Sure enough in the Washington Post "Ecuador Indians protest free trade talks with US ". Upon reading the article I realize the roads are closed because the natives have setup roadblocks. So I am currently sitting here with no idea when I will be able to leave (flights only every other day). I really wanted to get to Banos (a town with nice hot springs and mountain scenery) today then Riobamba in the evening to catch the morning train called the Nariz del Diablo (only runs three times a week) which I have heard is a sweet ride. My only hope of making it is if I can catch a bus this afternoon/evening, but I have my doubts it will be happening.

3 comments:

The Book Worm said...

Hope your not stuck there forever.

shauna marie said...

nothing like an exciting life, eh?

Bev said...

Nariz del Diablo.. know what that means???
The Devil's Nose... just make sure he doesn't sneeze while you're there!!!
Finally got caught up on all your posts, internets been done for a few days at my place.