Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Medellin


In the excitement of learning what was happening with the protests I forgot to post the last couple days worth of travel. Medellin was an enjoyable city to walk around. The streets were clean and the people friendly. A famous Colombian artist came from this city and his works and sculptures could be found throughout the city (Picture of Plaza of Sculptures). Before I left for my travels Bev Farrer, who was a missionary in the Medellin area, gave me a guided picture tour of the area so I was excited to see a number of the sites in person. Panamerican Highway through Colombia was a great drive cutting through the Andies, very scenic. My last stop in Colombia was to Santuario de las Lajas, an incredible neo-Gothis church built on a bride spanning a river gorge. As I mentioned in my last post once I arrived in Ecuador I was held up in the boarder town of Tulcan. I have had lots of time to check out this little town and the only major point of interest that I noticed was the topiary garden in the cemetery.

7 comments:

The Book Worm said...

Beautiful! You know you've seen some diverse things. This is a far streach from the beaches. Pictures almost look like they could be from Europe.

nathan said...

ahh.. I always wanted to see one of these tree scuplture things in real life... I don't understand how they can look that way ....they are pretty awesome....I wonder if you can grow them here???
BTW..congrats on being an uncle

Anonymous said...

Jonathan....so are you still in Ecuador? Sounds like you are running into a bit of a challenge to move along as you'd like! Trust things work out for you - and those roads get opened soon. That church 'in the crook' of the hill is awesome to look at - what unique scenery! Continue to travel safely. Love, Aunt Ethel

becca said...

hey uncle johnny! pictures a beautiful as always! hope things are going great!!!!

Bev said...

Glad to see you're doing well! I would have had a stroke if something happened to my camera... glad it dried out ok!
Send pics of Quito ASAP!!!
Safe travels, friend!
Did you love your refried beans?!?! They are by far my favorite S. American food! When made properly... yours looked different from the ones I had in Guate.

The Barretts said...

Hey Uncle Jonny! Sorry we missed your call the other day. I was just dialing out when you phoned so you went to the machine...drat!

Keep the beautiful pictures of your trip coming!

Jon Barrett said...

SB, Many of these towns have a very European feel for sure. Nat, I have to say I really don't know if PEI is suitable for them or not. If so you should definitly grow a couple and shape some cartoons. Aunt E, I'm definitly glad I took the time to check out that church. B, I have had some good refried beans. I think those are the first go around (not yet refried or they may actually be lentils or something). The Barretts, it cost me a lot less by only geting the machine. A plus for me, but it would have been good to say hey to my neice.