Thursday, March 23, 2006

Memories from Ecuador

I have to say almost all of my memories of Ecuador will be of the protests that were going on during my stay (and that are surprisingly still going on after 10 days. Ecuador declares state of emergency). I still had a very enjoyable time in the country, but I will have to return some day to do a few of the things that I had to skip over. Quito itself had a few major roads block (one of which was the road to the Equator sign). Compared to the roadblocks outside of town these were very tame. Cuenca thankfully was far enough away from Quito (were most of the roadblocks were setup) that my travels were unhindered. There were still protest (at the time I took this picture there were about 1,000 people walking around the square with signs and whistles in protest. I did feel a bit on edge since they were in part protesting against the West [free trade deal with America]). Needless to say after a few frustrating but interesting days I made my way to Peru (I will not get into crossing the Ecuador boarder to Peru).

No comments: