Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Colca Canyon

Despite a bit of rain the Colca Canyon was a really interesting area. From Arequipa (The White City) I made my way to the town of Chivay, which is a wonderful little city with a great mineral hot springs, where I spend the night before making my way to the canyon. For those trivia buffs out there the Colca Canyon (3191m deep) is the second deepest canyon in the world (a nearby canyon is about 175m deeper). The weather thankfully co-operated for long enough to get a good view of the canyon before a thick bank of clouds moved in again. (I am unable to post picts today, but will hopefully find a place in Cuzco in a couple days that will have the capability to upload some. I'm starting to get behind in that area). In the morning I have a trek to El Misti (5822m) planned for a couple days. I honestly was hoping to hike Chachani which is just over 6000 m, but was unable to find an outfit that fit to my time frame. I'm also getting excited for the Inca trail hike to Machu Picchu I have planned (I have been hearing a lot of good things about it).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jonny,
i am praying for you! your travels sound so exciting. my classes and i have been praying for you. we have seen God answer many prayers this year- it's cool for them to develop their faith. they were all so excited to see God's faithfullness. well i love you and miss you.
shira

Anonymous said...

Heres one for your trip to Machu Pichu:
Psalm 8
To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of David.
1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

Take care.

Noel said...

The Inca trail hike to Machu Picchu sounds very cool :) looking forward to hiking it hear at work with ya ;) till then