Monday, December 04, 2006

A road a bit less traveled




After many long, grueling, however beautiful hours on the road I have finally made it from Nepal to well inside of Tibet. The cultural experience of this journey has been wonderful. The locals are as curious of us foreigners as we are of them. I went out to eat last night at a small local restaurant in which they spoke no English which was a truly authentic experience as the few locals that where there gave me their full attention. The man across from me in his traditional Tibetan dress seemed to think that it was funny that I had such white hands that had hair on them. As I was waiting for my fried rice and tea I started to journal and they all were looking over my shoulder trying to make out every word (without any success I am assuming or they would have had to start laughing). While I am talking about food, authentic Chinese really is not anything to be greatly desired. Today we only had a few hours of driving then got to explore a large monastery complex with many monks walking around in their garb waving at us and trying to say hello (then go off giggling). It is starting to get dark out so I better try to find my way back to the hotel (I took so many side streets trying to find an Internet cafe I can't say exactly where I am at the moment).

7 comments:

The Barretts said...

This is my favorite post in a while. I wish I could have been at that restaurant with you..that would have been a really neat experience!

Anonymous said...

Only U Jonnie, You'd never get lost, I think you could find your way out of a jungle @ night. The experience must be mind boggling to take all this in, in such a short span. The LORD lookteh after His own Remember He will always be there no matter what. Travel safe.

Anonymous said...

*shock*.

that's it.

that's all I can write.

:)

Anonymous said...

Hi! We are anxious to see your pictures. You can fly to Atlanta and we can pick you up. Bet you will be glad for some Canadian food! No chinese for awhile. Your journal will be worth reading. love you mom and dad

Anonymous said...

jonny,
i really am so glad that you are safe. i don't want you to stop travelling though, because then i won't have any fun stories to tell my class... he, he, he... can't wait to see you at christmas. i am in my new house and unpacked, ready for you to come tell us stories. love you tons,
your favorite sister,
shira<><

Jon Barrett said...

Thankfully I did make my back to the Hotel. I don't think I took the shortest route out there, but it worked. Traveling has been fun and I still have a full last two weeks if I can get the logistics worked out. It will be good to be with family for Christmas though (especially with Western food.. I can almost taste it already).

Anonymous said...

Continue to enjoy all your pictures of your trip....what does Mom mean about Canadian food -- this American food is ok too!!!?? I'm sure they all will be glad to have you home for Christmas. Continue to travel safe - and love those pictures! Love, Aunt Ethel