Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Lhasa



I have to say I spoke way too soon saying that the road was sealed all the way to Lhasa. The majority of today's travel was again on some extremely rough moonscape like terrain. It was of course incredibly scenic. Following the rough "road" we came to the highest pass we had to cross on the journey at well over 5000m then quickly down into the valley to find Lhasa. Lhasa is a part modern - part historic city (thank the Chinese for the modern portions of the city). The heart of the city Potala Palace which is the historic winter residence of the Dalai Lamas (until the Chinese took control of power and the Dalai Lama has been exiled in India). It is an incredible palace (as you can see by the photos). I have to say that I am sad that I have to move on from Lhasa and Tibet tomorrow evening.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are spectacular! Cannot imagine how you are taking in all you have seen - how could you pick a favorite place? Continued good health. OX Cindy & Bob

Anonymous said...

k, so... I wasn't in the mood to be reading anymore.. so I was like, "huh, I'll just check out blogs"... and clicked on your gallery link: jonathan: seriously: like, you are like, got to be one of the coolest people I know! LOL!! well, I mean, you're cool anyways: but just glancing at where you've been: it's insane! I LOVE it!! so: I've decided: you've been pretty much everywhere but Africa. So, perhaps you could go there next time, that'd be great. thanks. ;) haha.. anyways. have a safe trip back, eh? maybe you should come to Monadnock and you can beat me up the mountain!! (and I'll have a license and a car: so I can come pick you up!)

Jon Barrett said...

With the number of photos I take and the scenery around it's almost hard not to take a few good snapshots. And for a favorite place... you are right how could I choice one. Africa... It's on my 3 year plan. And it's not looking good for going through LAX, Shauna, since trans-Siberian worked out.