Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Toastmasters

Last night I went to a Toastmasters meeting to see if it is something that I would like to become a part of.  I have to say for a first time guest it was somewhat strange to see how regimented the meeting was carried out (with all the roles and protocols followed - even the use of a mallet).  Getting past that however it was an enjoyable time.  I can't say I learnt too much unfortunately, but I did get voted as the best table talk speaker (don't I feel special- I even got a certificate) for doing a couple short impromptu speeches.  I still have not decided if I will go back again despite having a desire to work on my public speaking abilities.

8 comments:

The Barretts said...

Interesting...I would love to sit in on one of their meetings for fun. Public speaking is an excellent skill to possess.

Congrats on the big award ;)

Anonymous said...

i was thinking about doing that too!!! especially after i talked in a church meeting one time and some guy told me i said like a thousand times. that was embarassing. that is cool you were the best table talker. i am not surprised!!!
from erin bredin

Bev said...

Toastmasters?!!?

shauna marie said...

?toastmasters? huh?! is this a canadian thing that I missed?

Jon Barrett said...

Winning the table talk is really not that big of a deal. I do like the program for how it is built on public speaking betterment. In all reality anyone could start their own group (under a different name than toastmasters) and be right up there in effectiveness, however toastmasters does provide some good material. For those non-toastmasters as you may be able to guess is an international organization that has been set up to help develop/teach people public speaking abilities. It has had millions of participants across North America and many more globally. "Toastmasters" - the mastery of giving toasts (I am actually just guessing about this - It could be talking about becoming really good at cooking bread).

Bev said...

Oh... that clears everything up for me... thanks Jon! I don't think I'd like to join!

Anonymous said...

What was your table topic? Hopefully not like mine.....did you ever want to be a balerina?......No....
~Holly

Jon Barrett said...

Thankfully no balerina topic for me, but one was about would I wear an orange skirt.