Sunday, June 02, 2013

Bicycles

A couple weeks ago I took our truck up to Chakaria to look for some bicycles. We had looked for some used bicycles, however any expat staff that have bikes and are leaving typically give them away to a national such as their household help to assist with their travel.  I was just looking for the standard bike that most people have here, which is a very basic, old school, single speed, basket, etc... After searching around the small bicycle market I purchased a bike for both Holly and I.  One made in China and One made in India - Both assembled in Bangladesh. Needless to say it is good that there is a workshop here as both bikes have needed frequent repairs. The first week both my tires popped, the pedal hit the frame on every spin, the tire was wobbly, breaks did not work, seat kept moving... For Holly the pedal fell off (thread was stripped), a tire popped and many adjustments were needed to the setup.... After doing some welding, replacing of tubs and some tweaking at the shop the bikes have been working better except for Holly's back tire popped again, both my tires are going flat and my bell stopped working. I guess we get what we pay for.

 (Holly's is similar just blue and called the Pink Lady - this is also a rarity that you see me in shorts here despite always above 30 degrees and high humidity - the AC is not working in our office so I felt like I had little choice this evening other than to wear shorts when I went back to work.)

(Holly's Ride - in the workshop being fixed)


Jon

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your sandals Jonny!

Jon Barrett said...

I can't believe you were throwing them out. They still have a few months left in them. Jon

Noel said...

“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without” :)