Thursday, December 22, 2005

Motor Vehicle Inspection

I find it interesting how different provinces have differing rules on Motor Vehicle Inspection (MVI).  I know for the maritimes vehicles need to be inspected every year for road worthiness.  However in provinces such as Alberta (and several others) the only time a vehicle needs to be inspected is when it is purchased (at least this is what I have been told).  Both systems have their advantages.  In the maritimes it helps to keep the roads a little bit safer as well as keeping everyone on top of their vehicle repairs.  In places such as Alberta it saves the driving public the time, hassle and cost of annual inspections.  What is better... I couldn't say.  What I would prefer... is less hassle, cost and time.

5 comments:

Bev said...

Yeah, we have the same thing in Ontario as Alberta. One inspection when you buy the car. I was surprised to hear that Maritimers had annual inspections. It is kind of a pain... since I just remembered that my inspection is due in Jan and I'm all the way over here!!!

The Barretts said...

I value safety over hassle, money & time in this case. I like to be proactive and this inspection can also save you money in the long run if you catch things that are wrong a little earlier...

nathan said...

I would definately choose the inspection when you buy and thats it... leave the reaponsibility of car maintanence up to the owner. I would still get it checked every now and then but let me choose to do it when I have the time and money and still be able to drive until that time. That being said my inspection isn't till june so no worries for now.

Anonymous said...

the thing I find is by having the inspection once a year if they find something wrong I have no Idea if it is realy wrong or not and just have to pay them Till then Noel

ps. I do like the idea that every one had safe cars though... no breaks leads to lots of fun

Jon Barrett said...

I'm guessing it is not a huge safty concern since there are a number of provinces that do not require annual inspections. I find at some places when they do these annual inspections they do some work that would be needed for a few months down the road, but not really at the present.