Thursday, March 16, 2006

Around the Protests

After being stuck in Tulcan for a 24 hours I have to say I was ready to get out of there by whatever means.  I met up with two other travelers who spoke some Spanish and we were trying to come up with a scheme to get out of there. We thought if we could take a taxi to the roadblock then walk through it (and hope we didn´t get stoned as some locals said might happen) then get another taxi (collectivo) to the next and so on till we could get a bus the rest of the way to Quito.  The other two kind of swayed away from this idea after talking to a number of the locals who were also stuck that said that it wasn´t be the best idea (very risky in a number of ways).  Needless to say that didn´t happen.  Later in the evening I noticed some commotion at the bus terminal so I checked it out.  They said OK, we can get to Quito now.  Right on I thought.  I quickly packed up and got on board.  BIG MISTAKE.  Well the first 3 hours were all right, just a normal bus ride.  Then we made it to Otavalo (a town famous for its Saturday market).  This is were I saw my first signs of trouble.  The roads were blocked with these raging fires and mobs of people yelling something in Spanish.  So The bus went back to a gas station to decide what to do.  The driver told us we could go another route, but we would have to pay another $3 and it would take an extra 2 hours.  After much debate we were off for $2.  This route was also blocked with protesters at one point.  However the police made a route through and we were off again.  We then proceeded to ascend this small mountain trail made for tractors in the bus.  I think it was the scariest ride of my life.  There were several times that I was sure we were going to role over and end up at the bottom of the mountain (and from the yelps of everyone else I wasn't the only one in fear of that).  Then trying to pass other vehicles was also a hair raising task.  I have to say a lot of people on that bus were praying that they would make it safely through that pass.  I have to say I was honestly scared for my life.  Needless to say (since I am writing this) we made it without injury.  Even if it was 10 hours (3 am) later unlike the supposed 5 hours.  I have to say I took a flight south to Cuenca that afternoon verses anther bus ride through those protests around (and in) Quito.

8 comments:

GloreyBHere said...

You know Jonathan, those angels I asked God to keep charge over you must be pretty rag tag by now. Continue to be safe and make good Godly decisions!
Mrs. W.

The Book Worm said...

Glad you didn't get stoned.

shauna marie said...

ooohhh...your mother's gonna' kill you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon,

I see your vacation is not without excitement. Well, we're back in PEI. Still suffering from a bit of Jetlag. Should be okay by tommorrow. I'll be praying that all goes well with you. I guess we're all haveing adventures this year. Iteresting times. Take care of yourself. Be careful. Beauriful pictures by the way. No purim festivals in Columbia :-)

Noel said...

Crazy boy... I am praying for ya.. Israel was amazing I wish you could have come you would have loved it my dear brother... keep on having lots of fun talk to ya later till then

Bev said...

My sentiments exactly to Shauna's comment!!!
My word Jon... that sounded absolutely terrifying!
Need more angels Mrs. W.!
Please be careful... praying all the time.

The Barretts said...

I would have been scared out of my mind!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon Barrett said...

I doubt we were in much real danger. It just sure felt like we were (especially when I consider the pressure the driver was under). 1. It was very late at night. 2. Eveyone was pressuring him to get to Quito after being stuck for two days in a small town. 3. We had already paid the extra money which he had put in the bus for gas so there would be no refund if he turned around (I think he would have had a mutiny if he did as we were close to it at times even without). 4. The driver obviously did not know the road as we went the wrong way two separte times that we had to turn around and go back and take the other road of the Y. 5. It was late and every person on the bus was wide awake standing and having their heads out the windows.