Sunday, March 19, 2006

SandBoarding



OK, I'm skipping a couple days here (from Quito to Lima), but I will get back to them at some point. Peru has been a very interesting and diverse country. Basically all of the coastal plains are vast deserts of dirt, rock, sand and an ever present haze. Today I made it to Huacachina, which is this really cool little oasis in the desert surrounded by these massive sand dunes. It was a scorching hot day today, but I didn't really care I was determined to go sand boarding. Sand boarding is an interesting sport to say the least (much like snowboarding, but when you fall you get scoarched from the sand vs froze from the snow). Next time I try it though I think I want go with a tour group so they take you to the top by sand buggies verses, trudging up through the sand. Wow, was that tiring. I only got like 5 runs in then I was done. I had to go for a dip in the lagoon (a nice cold lake).

5 comments:

The Book Worm said...

Sandboarding? Is that like snowboarding? Sounds like it could be fun.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jonathan, that sounds so interesting!!! Yeah, it is a cool looking town tho - must be terrible sand storms? Glad to hear you continue to travel safely - even with the interesting stops!!!
Take care...and travel safe. Love, Aunt Ethel

shauna marie said...

okay, so, jon, your "5 weary times" would be like a normal persons, "one time". And your dark man. I'm jealous.

Hannah! said...

Hey Jon hopefully you dont mind im checking in on your site!! I had a lot to catch up on though! i think it is so unreal that you are even there, are you sure you haven't just secluded yourself in your basement and you have superimposed yourself onto those pictures? Anyway you are living an exciting life my friend! Enjoy!
Hannah

Noel said...

Love all the sand... great picks I guess when ya fall ya get sand in all your hair :) ... till then