Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Bocas del Toro

Following a short stint in San Jose (about 3 hours) I headed to the Caribbean town of Puerto Viejo.  It was a beautiful bus ride through some more jungle and an unbelievable number of pineapple and banana plantations then finally along miles of palm tree lined Caribbean coast.  This morning I rented a bike and biked along the coast then through some jungle.  I have to say the howler monkeys are crazy.  They make these loud moaning grunting noises that are really strange.  I was biking along when one must have been just on the side of the road and it started making that noise.  I almost fell of my bike.  It is to bad it was pouring out so my glasses were fogged up and I couldn´t see anything, but the monkeys were out in force all over the place.  I was thinking they were going to jump me and steal the coconut I had in the front basket of the bike.  I also saw the grossest thing so far on my trip during that bike ride (A Vulture eating a dead monkey - I will leave the description there, inquire later if you really want to know more details). After crossing the boarder into Panama and a short boat ride I made it to my current local of Bocas del Toro.  Another fun little Caribbean Island town with beaches never far away and surfers by the dozen.

13 comments:

The Book Worm said...

Dead monkey. . ewww. . .

You were biking in the rain? Did I understand that correctly?

Bev said...

Yummmm... entrails!
Praying for you.

The Barretts said...

It made me smile to picture you almost falling off of your bike because of a monkey...hehehe

nathan said...

me too...I can picture you being jumped by a gang of monkeys for your coconut... funny picture... although I am curious to hear more about the dead monkey and vulture... it sounds like it was interesting ...ew

Anonymous said...

Jonathan, I have been so enjoying hearing about your travels - and all the new and different experiences you've had! I hope when we go 'home' again that you are around so we can see your many beautiful pictures and hear some more details of your travels. Take care. love, Aunt Ethel

shauna marie said...

gotta' say man...'kind of wish I was there for the whole monkey thing....

Jon Barrett said...

In response to the rain. It started raining when I was about 13km away from town, so yes I biked for about 45 minutes in the pouring rain. I have to say even in the rain it was fun biking in that area. The rain may have even spurred on the monkeys in their crazy behaviour. Also after my initial fright I went into the jungle to chase the monkeys to get a look, but was again was unsuccessful. Only got tangled in the spider webs and scrapes from some random Thorn bushes, but I did get a coconut which I was later able to puncture a hole in and drink the coconut milk.

GloreyBHere said...

Dear Heavenly Father
I pray for Jonathan as he travels. Please guide him and give him divine appointments with not only those that need You, but also ones that would encourage him and be a blessing to him. Place a hedge of protection around Jonathan. Send your angels to minister to him and to take charge over him in his waking hours and in his sleep. Keep him in excellent health, Lord. Open up all that is good to him and may everything he do honor and glorify You.
In Jesus name, I pray, Amen.
Be blessed Jonathan - sounds like you are experiencing and being and doing. Isn't God good!
Sincerely,
Mrs. W

Anonymous said...

Glad your enjoying Costa Rica. It's a beautiful country as you're seeing. Grab a taxi to Parque Bosque 200 metros este, 50 metros norte casa 499 and you can see where we lived. The language institute is about 500 meters north of the park- parque bosque. You can find many english speakers there of course and they can give you other ideas for CR if you want them.
Andrew

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon! It hard to keep up with u I enjoy seeing all the places u have been & all the awesome things you have been able to experience & reading all about it. Take care & the Lord bless.

Bev said...

Sarah's belly looks fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

jonny,
my goodness, i am so glad i am not with you right now. i would freak out if a bunch of monkeys concegrated around me.... i am goingto the caribbean for spring break. bobby and my friends husband are suprising us and taking us on a cruise- obviously i found out about the suprise. you know me-always nosey... i haven't changed... my class is still praying for you and i love you so much. i wish you would come visit me! we have all kinds of wild things here in kentucky.
love you,
shira

Anonymous said...

Lee says hi