Thursday, March 30, 2006

Lake Titicaca


I had a fun day around Lake Titicaca today. This morning I was in Puno, Peru where I caught a boat to the floating reed Islands of Uros. These are fun little floating islands spread around this marsh like area. It was interesting to walk around as there is an extra bounce to your step. The port of Puno was very strange also as the lake in that area was covered in this green algae like stuff that you would find on a stagnant pond. From Puno I made my way around the lake to the Bolivian side and enjoyed a much more pristine looking lake with white snow capped mountains as a backdrop.

4 comments:

The Book Worm said...

Do people live on these floating Islands? I would love to have a boat like the ones in your picture. Bring me one when you come home would ya. Its not that big.

Anonymous said...

It is so nice Jonathan...you are letting us old fogies who won't ever travel like you, to enjoy so many wonderful sites of the world! Can't imagine living on an island like that - and sure couldn't do any digging there!!? Continue to travel safely. Love, Aunt Ethel

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon,

Ahh lake Titicaca,very interesting place geograpically. Wish I was on that trip I will have to do it some other time. Maybe we'll plan another trip for Belize.

Jon Barrett said...

People do surprisingly enough live on those Island still (originally moved there to escape the feisty Incas). I will see what I can do about picking up one of those boats and sail it back to PEI via the Amazon. It would be very tough to have a garden on one of those Islands (I did see a couple plants that they were growing though). Malcolm, we definitely will have to try to get a group of us to go explore Belize more extensively sometime.