Saturday, April 01, 2006

Travel Time

I had a great rest in Peru for about a week of minimal travel so I am currently making up for that with 4 hours of bus and 15 hours of Train yesterday from La Paz and across Bolivia to Argentina. This morning I got off the train to make my way through customs. At first sight it appeared like I would be waiting for hours and hours (Bolivian side had like 50 people in line with no officer and Argentina side had like 150 people in line with one officer), but being a tourist you are viewed as having money or something since some officers shuffled us to the front of the line on both sides of the boarder to get our stamps ( I kindof felt bad as it seemed like I was butting). From there I had 5 hours on the bus and am currently trying to find a nice steakhouse before I find a spot on another bus for the 20 some odd hour haul to Buenos Aires. The scenery has been very different over the past 24 hours (huge lagoons, salt flats and enormously vast arid areas of land). I can truly see why Bolivia is called the Tibet of South America (at least from what I know of Tibet). Have a great weekend.

9 comments:

The Book Worm said...

15 hours on a train? You know what? I've never been on a train before.

Anyways,have fun in Buenos Aires.

The Book Worm said...

Oh and sailing one of those boats back to PEI would be great.

shauna marie said...

tell the Sawatsky's hi for me. and I hear you go back on the 23rd: is this true?

Anonymous said...

Those boats are quite primitive looking. Why the peeks at the front & back? (ONe of many questions we have when we see you!!) Save travels.

Jon Barrett said...

After a deliciously plump and juicy Argentinian steak I slept most of the 20 hours to BA. Now all I have to do is to try to find my relatives.

Jon Barrett said...

Currently In Ezeiza visiting the Holmes who are missionaries here in Argentina. Colby has been showing me the Capital today which has been very memorable. It was great to attend their church service last night where I was able to share a bit about myself.

shauna marie said...

jonny that's awesome!!

The Book Worm said...

Thats great that you were able to go to church. I know that when I was at Saint Anne's this past summer, I missed being with other Christians alot.

Jon Barrett said...

It was defintly great to be with fellow believers.