Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Machu Picchu

After four intensive days of hiking through the ever impressing Andies, early this morning the group I was with made it to the Sun Gate at Machu Picchu. We were tired (from waking up at 4:30) and soaked from the morning downpour, but excited to reach the climax of our journey. At the Sun Gate we gazed over the valley below only to see the heavy mist of the amazon region that the Machu Picchu resides in very close proximity to. Thankfully it did clear up throughout the morning to afford some classic Machu Picchu pictures. Overall the Inca trail was an amazing hike over three mountain passes that continually produced incredible vistas every step along the way. The trail itself was a challenge, but taking it in pace any reasonably fit person has little trouble along the way (other than a bit of huffing and puffing from the altitude and thousands of steps).

10 comments:

shauna marie said...

yeah, so I'm definitely a big fan of the "Jonathan, you're soooo just 'cuttin' & pastin' yourself in those pictures. And only you could find a huge group of white, english speaking people down there at this time of the year. glad you're seeing some breath taking scenery...

The Book Worm said...

I don't believe your cutting and pasting Jonny.

So took a four day hike through the Andies eh. Thats pretty cool I guess.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon,

Awesome, what an amazing place. They say that the stones at Machu picchu are so tightly put together that you couldn't get a piece of paper in between, and in an age when they're not supposed to be using iron, stones that have been removed by archaeologists, were found to be held together by metal braces! Interesting ey. Amzing architecture. Wish I was there, my kinda place..... Keep the pics coming...

Anonymous said...

Jonathan....that is a fabulous picture of you with the 'forgotten city' in the background!!! Glad to hear you continue to travel safely. Take care and God's protection. Love, Aunt Ethel

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable Jon I've been out of touch computer screen blew 1 month for Toshiba to figure that out> Looks awesome the places you have been. The LORD protects His own so journey safe & remember we are praying for safty & health. Take care.

Jon Barrett said...

Shauna, and I thought I did such a good job cutting and pasting. Sarah, thanks for believing me, and the Andies are way cool. Malcolm, the Incas were amazing builders. I have a few pictures of some of their special buildings in that the stonework is absolutely amazing. Aunt Ethel, I was very happy on how the picture turned out. All I could have asked for more is a bit of blue sky (which was there, but just a little out of the pict). DOC, I'm glad they finally figured out what was wrong with your comp.

Bev said...

Wow, Jonny! Looks like you should be in a National Geographic magazine!!! Unbelieveable pictures! Come home soon will you?!!? I wanna see the rest of the pics!

Noel said...

Hey Jonathan your photos are looking great... Hope your having fun don't let any of the crazy monkeys steal your kitbag :) .... praying for ya till then

Cary Sawatsky said...

When you get here to Sao Paulo will you have all of your pictures with you? I know for our blog only about 1 out of 8 pictures gets used.

Jon Barrett said...

I have a lot of picts to go through before public viewing. I will have at least 2500 picts by the time I get home and that would bore even the most interested viewer. I honestly cant wait to go through them all myself. I kindof just jump through them quickly to find a pict or two when I post.