Sunday, December 10, 2006

Beijing



It has been great to be in Beijing for a number of days to meander around at a gentle pace. I had the opportunity to see the Great Wall yesterday which was very interesting. (There is a bit of a longer story about the tour since they took us to spend more time at jade shops than at the actual Wall). Then today I tried to find the Beijing Baptist Church, but since I did not take the building name in Mandarin the taxi driver did not know where I wanted to go therefore we simply drove around for over a half hour looking without seeing. To say the least I was very disappointed when it did not work out. I was looking forward to going to a Baptist church in communist China (the only official Baptist church in Beijing). I have two more days in Beijing to work out two more visas, if this goes smoothly I will be off again for my last week long journey before the long flights back to North America.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The wall looks amazing. I have always wanted to go to the great wall. The pictures will be wonderful to see. Imagine a Baptist church in China! See you soon. Love Mom and Dad

The Barretts said...

Too bad you weren't able to find the church....that would have been neat.

Enjoy the rest of your travels!

Anonymous said...

hhmm... the Newsboys just performed there in Bejing: did you see them? ;)

... they say you can see the Great Wall from space... I'd REALLY like to see that...

Jon Barrett said...

Only one long train ride then a few shorter flights and my travels will be over again. How sad.