Thursday, August 22, 2013


I had a great three week visit at home in PEI.  As vacations usually go, time went by way too fast.  I spent most of my days with family and friends enjoying the PEI summer; beaches, pools, water park, golfing, badminton, soccer, baby cows, lambs, Victoria by the sea, eating chocolate, and simply hanging out and catching up.


  PEI South Shore

That's my father-in-law Bob Barrett doing a back flip of a diving board in the photo above!

I looked through old photos and documents with Grammie including her birth certificate and a well written newspaper article authored by my 26 year old grandfather about agricultural business.

Brent and Mary Currie (I see some resemblance to my sister here)

    Brent and his chickens                                                                         1918? Young Brent on the right                     

I spent other time with a number of speaking engagements, appointments and shopping for items to bring back to Bangladesh. After three short weeks I was sad to say goodbye!  I hope to see some of you here in Bangladesh :)

I took advantage of the opportunity for two long layovers during my return home.  The first was in New York City.  Travel time was a little long to get into the city, but I was set on a bike ride in Central Park and it was well worth it!  It was nice to get outside and exercise and finally see the famous park.

After an overnight flight I arrived early in Amsterdam.  After a quick 20 minute train ride I was at central station, the perfect place to start a walk around the city.

Since I had an early arrival,  I got in line to enter the Anne Frank Museum about an hour before it opened (when I exited, the line wrapped around the block! fyi - you can also book ahead).  It was a very interesting and sad to be in the actual place where her story unfolded.  I then headed to the flower market and picked up some orange tree, kiwi, and strawberry seeds for pots.....I hope they will grow here.

                                                                                       Secret bookcase entrance              Flower Market
                                                                                            to the hiding place

Next stop was Dubai where I met Jon which you have already heard about.  Unfortunately one of my 50 lb bags did not make it.  It did eventually turn up and we finally received it yesterday evening (6 days later). The 11 lbs of cheese and bags of chocolate where still there, though a little worse for wear.  There was also a photocopy of some random man's British passport.  Perhaps he picked up my bag by accident.........?  I am happy to have it back!

No comments: